Friday, September 30, 2016

Wildflower Wednesday: Blue (and White) Lobelia

Blue Lobelia also known as Blue Cardinal Flower (Lobelia siphilitica) is a native perennial wildflower that is adaptable to many growing conditions.

I have mine in a large container in part shade, but it does well also along woodland edges, stream beds, and even in clay soils. Mine came to me from a local plant swap and is the gift that keeps on giving.

It has no pest problems, is deer-resistant and tolerates drought. The best part is that it blooms for over 6 weeks straight for me an the bees love it.  





The white version is just as tough, though I have found it harder to propagate it. The blue version seeds around a bit, but it is clump-forming and is easy to pull and replant it where you'd like it to spread.


Wildflower Wednesday is about sharing wildflowers from all over the world. It was started by Gail Eichelberger on her "Clay and Limestone" blog. It is always on the fourth Wednesday of the month.

3 comments:

  1. I have this plant but, the grasses have kept me from seeing it...Now, with your inspiration, it's going into a container! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preciosas fotos. Felicitaciones y saludos desde Plantukis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by, Gail and Raul.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...