Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Bloom Day Annuals

Fuchsia
Pentas
Torenia
 It is Garden Blogger's Bloom Day again! On the 15th of each month, we gardeners from all over the world share a few bloom photos on our blogs. My garden is in the Mid-Atlantic USA (USDA zone 7) on the DC-MD border.

Here are three of my favorite annual flowers -- still going strong after this wet spring and dry summer. All three are pollinator magnets and I have to negotiate with bees to take these photos.

I never understood why certain gardeners are so snobby when it comes to the inclusion of annual flowers in their gardens. Nonstop blooming for 5 months (or more) is a great asset in my opinion.  They bridge the gaps between spring bulbs and summer perennials then on to the coloring-up of fall shrubs. As you can see, I favor the cool pink-purple-blue end of the color range, but also enjoy a display in the hot yellow-orange-red range when I see it in other gardens. To each his own, I suppose.

What is blooming in YOUR garden today?

5 comments:

  1. Your fuchsia is lovely - the epitome of summer ! Enjoy every minute of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful garden!

    Thanks for sharing this post and giving me the idea to also participate!

    I just started a new blog last week about gardening and crafting. You are always welcome visit if you want.

    Greetings, Sofie
    http://sofies-succulent-beads.blogspot.be/2015/09/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-september-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What species of Fuchsia is? Do you use it as annual or perennial plant ?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Francesco -
    It is FUCHSIA ARETES 'JOLLIES NANTES' - I ordered it and FUCHSIA ARETES 'BOOGIE' for the Silver Spring Garden Club's annual garden mart fundraiser plant sale this year. I will definitely be orderng it again!
    It is an annual for us - a long season one as it can take a bit of frost - but won't survive a real freeze. I could try it as a houseplant to overwinter it, but don't think I'll bother as I have forced air heat and these types of plants don't generally tolerate that well.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...