Thursday, May 22, 2008

Get in Touch with Your Inner Faerie

Since the Washington Examiner's web site has been giving me fits all day and I can't get today's issue to load, I'll skip our Thursday List link for now and instead feature a link to one of the most fun events of the year in these parts: the Maryland Faerie Festival. Okay, it is only peripherally garden-related in so much as faeries and flowers have been linked since the dawn of time. Who are we kidding though? This festival is not really about the science of plants or mixing herbal remedies. it is about dressing up in wings and ribbons and dancing around and generally acting like you are eight years old again. And what is wrong with doing that once in a while? A few of you out there need to let loose, I hear the hunched tightness of your shoulder muscles through my computer speakers. If you are male and think this fest does not pertain to you, think again. A Green Man outfit is about as macho as they come - all leather and oak leaves - the ladies practically swoon. Faeries come in all colors and kinds -- from gentle to downright trouble-makers -- pick your avatar carefully.
This year the Faerie Fest is Saturday and Sunday, June 7th and 8th, 2008, 10 AM to 6 PM. Admission is $10 for ages 12 to 99, $3 for ages 3 to 11, Free for kids under 3 and over 99, and $1 off for anyone dressing in costume. Parking fee $3 per vehicle. It is at the Patuxent 4H Center, 18405 Queen Anne Road, Upper Marlboro, MD. Start working on those wings now or save a few pennies up and buy a pair from one of the inventive crafters there.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I have never been. Up for some cross-posting at A ParentinSilverSpring.com or me sending you some linky love? Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely up for some cross-posting. My nieces (4 and 6) LIVE for this Faerie Fest - I can't imagine any kid who wouldn't have a blast there. The highlight for them is the big hill you can roll down - ah, too be young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I can grab your article here and attribute to you, or you can send the article for posting - with a tag line directing readers to your wonderful blog and magazine sites - at jessica dot mcfadden at g mail dot com. Photo attachments to go with the article very welcome. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...