Sunday, October 15, 2017

Bloom Day: Wedding Abundance

 It is the 15th of the month, which means Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day again. To view links to other garden bloggers' blooms around the world to see what it blooming in their gardens today and to read their collective comments, go to http://www.maydreamsgardens.com/2017/10/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-october-2017.html

Here in the Mid-Atlantic USA (USDA zone 7) on the DC-MD border, the past month started off very dry, then the rains finally returned. The temperature has stayed warm and nice, with no sign of frost -- yet.
For Bloom Day this month I thought I'd share the flowers from my garden that I used for my friend's wedding reception. When she mentioned a tight budget and the possibility of buying all $1 store fake flowers, I was like: "Oh, hell nah!" So I offered my garden flowers as my wedding gift to her. 
She wanted all fall colors from yellow to rust, so that left out all my lipstick-pink Celosia, purple Salvias, and pink Zinnias. The Mums and Sunflowers were my saving grace with some Black-eyed Susans still producing as well. I also cut some grasses and Love Lies Bleeding from my mom's garden for accent use.
It was fun gathering and creating the simple, rustic arrangements. I collected and cleaned every small glass jar I could find and bought 500-feet of twine to wrap around them for a unifying effect. The original table count was 20, but that quickly increased to 27 + the head table as the RSVPs rolled in. Luckily, I could keep on adding and even had a few extra arrangements leftover for the cake table, bar, and bathrooms.
I sent most all the flower-jars home with the guests and came home with a few that I'll bring to the Silver Spring Garden Club tomorrow as door prizes.
So what is blooming in YOUR garden today?




1 comment:

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...