Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Bloom Day Annuals

 It is Garden Blogger's Bloom Day again! On the 15th of each month, we gardeners from all over the world share a few bloom photos on our blogs. My garden is in the Mid-Atlantic USA (USDA zone 7) on the DC-MD border.

Here are three of my favorite annual flowers -- still going strong after this wet spring and dry summer. All three are pollinator magnets and I have to negotiate with bees to take these photos.

I never understood why certain gardeners are so snobby when it comes to the inclusion of annual flowers in their gardens. Nonstop blooming for 5 months (or more) is a great asset in my opinion.  They bridge the gaps between spring bulbs and summer perennials then on to the coloring-up of fall shrubs. As you can see, I favor the cool pink-purple-blue end of the color range, but also enjoy a display in the hot yellow-orange-red range when I see it in other gardens. To each his own, I suppose.

What is blooming in YOUR garden today?


Jane Hoehoegrow said...

Your fuchsia is lovely - the epitome of summer ! Enjoy every minute of them!

WashingtonGardener said...

Thanks, Jane :-)

Sofie Vandersmissen said...

You have a beautiful garden!

Thanks for sharing this post and giving me the idea to also participate!

I just started a new blog last week about gardening and crafting. You are always welcome visit if you want.

Greetings, Sofie

Francesco Delvillani said...

What species of Fuchsia is? Do you use it as annual or perennial plant ?

WashingtonGardener said...

Hi Francesco -
It is FUCHSIA ARETES 'JOLLIES NANTES' - I ordered it and FUCHSIA ARETES 'BOOGIE' for the Silver Spring Garden Club's annual garden mart fundraiser plant sale this year. I will definitely be orderng it again!
It is an annual for us - a long season one as it can take a bit of frost - but won't survive a real freeze. I could try it as a houseplant to overwinter it, but don't think I'll bother as I have forced air heat and these types of plants don't generally tolerate that well.