Friday, October 18, 2024

Fenton Friday: Radishes

The seedlings for Radish 'Cherry Belle' are up. I'll give the seeds of the  Radish 'Round Black Spanish' and the Carrots we planted at the same time a few more weeks.

The Lettuce seeds still have not germinated yet - so time to give up and plant Spinach in their place.

I'm pulling out the Tomato vines and donating any remaining fruits to our HarvestShare collection this weekend.

We cut back the Garlic Chives before they can go to seed. Lord knows, they've already taken over enough real estate in my small plot -- and I never planted them there in the first place! However, the bees do love them and the flowers last forever, so I have learned to tolerate their presence for most of the growing season.

It was cooler this week with some nights in the upper 40s, but we are having a fairly mild weather week coming up so many things are staying in. The Peppers and Blackberries are all producing. A few more Zucchini are forming so I will leave those plants in for another week or so. 

The Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Brussels Sprouts are all growing quite large under the cover cloth. I'm debating taking the cloth off as it not doing that much to protect them. The foliage has bite holes in it and at least one of the seedling plants is missing - I suspect a rat or squirrel.

What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...