Friday, October 11, 2024

Fenton Friday: Carrot Harvest

We finally harvested the row of carrots that I had let grow at the top of the plot for several months now. The carrots are 'St. Valery' from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and were planted way back in late March. They are the biggest carrots I've ever grown! They are a bit woody and hard, but surprisingly are still edible. I may try shredding a bunch for carrot salad.

The Lettuce seeds still have not germinated yet -- I'll give them a few more days then give up if there is no sign of them and plant Spinach in their place.

The Peppers, Tomatoes, and Blackberries are all still producing. A few more Zucchini are forming so I will leave those plants in for another week or so.

We pulled the Gherkin Cucumber vine and in their spot planted Carrot 'Scarlet Nantes', Radish 'Cherry Belle', and Radish 'Round Black Spanish'.

The Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Brussels Sprouts are all growing quite large under the cover cloth, though this week's windy weather and cold nights dried them up a bit and I think we lost a couple. I'll do a better job checking under the cloth and watering them.

What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

1 comment:

  1. Your carrot harvest sounds amazing! I’m inspired to try growing 'St. Valery' next season.Great update on your garden! Excited to hear how the new radishes and carrots turn out.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...