Friday, April 19, 2024

Fenton Friday: Potatoes Planted



This week, I finally got the potatoes planted. They are Dark Red Norland seed potatoes that I got from Valley View Farms in March. I had this potato grow bag (see photo at right) that was given to me a few years ago sitting around and thought I'd finally use it to test our grow potatoes in it. There is a flat on one side near the bottom that is attached with velcro, so you can open it and harvest the potatoes then reclose it and let them keep growing. I'll be eager to see if this will be easier than digging and hilling them as you normally would when growing potatoes.

In other updates from the garden, the radishes and carrots seedlings are up and thriving -- so much so that we had to thin them out. 

The lettuce greens, cilantro, arugula, and pea seedlings are now all up too. We did a bit of watering and weeding around those.

The onions, dill, parsley, and broccoli plants we put in a few weeks ago are all doing fine. The thornless blackberry bushes are loaded with white flowers. The garlic we planted last fall is growing rather large for this time of year -- fingers crossed for big bulbs when we harvest them this summer!

I harvested a few more asparagus spears, but the additional ones I planted last fall have not shown up yet. I'll still hold out hope for those.

We also decorated and refreshed our community bulletin board as it was looking really faded. (That sun is a powerful thing!) I added pockets with free seeds to give away -- they are basil, marigolds, and zinnias.

 What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

2 comments:

  1. hi cathy - i'm not sure if this is the best way to reach you but needing your advice. this is roslyn - we met years ago when tweet ups were a thing.
    anyway, in my yard is a holly tree, between myself and the neighbors. its been there over 25 years, probably longer...my neighbors moved in an added a root top deck to their home. apparently the holly tree is attracting bees (because that is what holly trees do) and is making their deck unusable. the husband is allergic to bees. any advice on what i can do, other than cut down the tree, to reduce and/or eliminate the bees from their space?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - I wouldn't remove it. The bees should visit the flowers on the tree while it blooms - which is a short period of time (a few weeks) - the rest of the year, the bees will not be hanging around.

      Delete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...