Friday, April 26, 2024

Fenton Friday: Garden Envy


Earlier this week, we visited the UMD Community Learning Garden on the College Park, MD, campus. I have to admit to a bit of garden envy when I saw their rain barrels up on high platforms connected to drip irrigation lines running through their raised beds. However, what I envied most was the turnout they had, a few dozen students were there weeding and planting. Oh, what I could do with all that youthful energy and enthusiasm! (Of course, we have an intern or two helping out each semester at our plot, so I count myself fortunate in that respect.) I'll share more pics from the UMD garden visit to our social media (@WDCgardener on Instagram and Twitter/X) in the next few days.

It has been a very dry week in our plot. I have had to go over twice to water the lettuce, pea, radish, and carrot seedlings and also put a cover cloth over the broccoli plant. It is supposed to get near 90 degrees on Sunday and I'm afraid the poor cool-season plants will not be able to cope. I'll see if I can get back over that morning and cover all the seedlings plus water them in well.

What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...