Friday, July 21, 2023

Fenton Friday: The Zs Have It

After last week's drought post, we have had some really nice overnight rains. Isn't a good rain while you sleep just the best thing in the world?

The plants are growing by leaps again this week thanks to all those rains at night and intense sun + high temps by day. 

The zucchini has doubled in size and I even lifted up a leaf today to see our first zuke baby! I will give it a few more days and then harvest it. 

The Bush Bean 'Ferrari' seedlings are up and off to a good start. I have them inside our rabbit-proof box because bunnies love to eat bean seedlings down to the ground. 


The cutting garden and PopUp garden are growing fast. We cut the first blooms on the Zinnia 'Mazurkia' plants. They are a deep-pink with light edges. I cannot wait until we have armfuls of them to pick.

I also finally pulled the Broccoli plants that were far past their prime. In their spot we planted the Celosia seedlings that were coming up in and around the row of Basil I had planted a few weeks ago. I plucked the Celosia out as gently as I could and I think they transplanted okay, even though it was a very hot day and they look a bit unhappy about that treatment. These self-sowing Celosia are pretty tough plants though and should pull through. Now that the encroaching Celosia are out of the way, I can thin the Basil seedlings and give the remaining ones plenty of room to grow.

How is your garden plot growing this week?
 
About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...