Friday, July 14, 2023

Fenton Friday: Drought Returns

Cutting Garden

The "I-95 split" curse returns and we are once again missed by every storm system that goes just past us. It is maddening to watch the radar and see the rains disappear right as they approach our area. We are also in a stretch of 90+ degree days with equal doses of humidity. So I am hand-watering every day simply to keep things alive at this point.

The heat-loving plants are putting on terrific growth and that includes the zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes. All are putting our flowers and we should have fruits developing soon.

PopUp Garden
The cutting garden and PopUp garden is also zooming along and soon we will have blooms to gather! It is hard to imagine that we started the seeds only 3 weeks ago! 

We had a small setback at the little pollinator garden right outside our garden as someone yanked out two of the Borage plants right in the middle. I tried to replant them, but they won't likely survive having been ripped out on a hot day and thrown on the ground with exposed roots baking in the searing sun for who knows how many hours before I discovered them. What is wrong with people? I put a "pollinator garden" sign out there now, in case that helps.

We did get some free Common Milkweed seedlings from Bona Terra Nursery and planted them in that pollinator garden strip too. They are so tiny, that they likely won't all survive, but I hope a few do.

Zucchini 'Incredible Escalator'

I also managed to clear out the last of the lettuce and peas
. In their place is Bush Bean 'Ferrari' -- I hope they are as fast as their name promises.

I have an eye toward what we will enter this year into the Montgomery County Fair. I think the Garlic and Potatoes for sure as well as our flowers, we'll see about the tomatoes and peppers and what looks good at that time next month.

How is your garden plot growing this week?
 
About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...