Friday, May 26, 2023

Fenton Friday: Scapeshifters

It was a fairly dry week again, so mostly I've been weeding and watering at the plot.

I picked a few ripe strawberries and a handful of Peas pods this week. 

The Garlic scapes have formed (see pic above). This might be the latest they've ever done so. I cut them and plan to turn them into pesto.

The Spinach and Salad Greens are growing like gangbusters, so I plan to harvest those and bring them to a Memorial Day picnic to share.

I forgot to put a cover cloth on the Potato plants (to keep out the Colorado Potato Beetle coming soon), but I'll try to attend to that this week.

The loaded berries on the Blackberry plants are starting to darken, but I think are still several weeks away from fully ripening.

I'm leaving the bolted Arugula and Daikon Radish alone to form seedheads so I can harvest those for next winter's Seed Exchanges.

Next week, the new interns start and we'll be planting Tomatoes, Peppers, etc. and starting annual cutting flowers from seed. Speaking of which, right next to the plot number sign a cosmos plant has popped up. It is nice to see it reseeded there and I'll leave it in place as it is not sticking out too much into the front pathway.

How is your garden plot growing this week?
 
About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...