Friday, May 19, 2023

Fenton Friday: Peas Popping


It was a fairly dry week again, so mostly I've been weeding and watering at the plot.

The Peas jumped into flower and formed pods this week. In the pic above you can see the Arugula behind it has definitely bolted, but I still picked a few leaves to add to my egg salad sandwich yesterday and they tasted fine.

Another plant that is flowering/bolting this week is the Daikon Radish. I suppose I should pull that whole row soon and let the Carrots next to them stay and grow a bit longer.

We had a couple of Strawberries ripen and the Garlic is starting to form scapes.

The rest of the Greens are growing very well and the Potato plants are looking really robust. That does make me think I should put a cover cloth on them soon, as I really fear the Colorado Potato Beetle coming in soon due to the warmer weather.

I did manage to somewhat cover the loaded Blackberry plants with a plastic mesh, but any determined creature could get under and grab the fruits, so as the ripen I just need to be more vigilant to pick them asap.

The risk of frost and freeze has passed, so I'll be planting the summer crops from seed and the tomato, pepper, and herb seedlings soon.

I also want to revamp the cutting flower beds. The Yarrow is already blooming, which looks nice at this stage and a BIG surprise today was seeing at least two Dahlia plants had popped up. These were tubers I had failed to dig and store last fall, but I was sure they had been killed by a early freeze, so I didn't bother! I'm happy to see them return and will look forward to seeing which flowers they produce.

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...