Friday, March 04, 2022

Fenton Friday: A New Season in the Community Garden Plot



It is our first week back at the community garden and here is what has wintered over for us. We have the strawberry and asparagus bed looking in fine shape. The garlic planted last fall is up and looking good. The "dwarf' thornless blackberry is starting to sprout new leaves and needs serious pruning. About a quarter row of spinach and a similar amount of arugula have survived under a row cover. (The bok choy I hoped would stick around has not.) Some of the perennial herbs like yarrow and chives are rebounding in the early spring warmth.

The mustard green cover crop is dying back as planned and revealed an underplanting of 'White Egg' turnips that I had forgotten all about. The turnips are beyond the point of harvesting and will make good compost at this point.

The two interns planted seeds this week for three crops -- an organic salad bowl mix that we are trying in both a container and a row in the ground, along with a row of Radish 'Rudolf' alongside a row of 'Tonda di Parigi' Carrots. These last two I got from Botanical Interests and am eager to see how they do for us -- especially the small, round carrots.

In a week or so, I plan to plant our peas and maybe add some other types of early greens and cool-season herbs. Are you back in your edible garden yet? If so, what are you growing?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...