Friday, October 22, 2021

Fenton Friday: Working for Peanuts

Peanuts pulled straight out of the soil.

This week at the community garden plot, we harvested the peanuts! Back on June 25, I planted peanuts in a container as an experiment. Those came from the ladies at Garden sPOTS and they were a fun experiment this summer. I was very impatient and wanted to pull them in mid-September, but intern Charlotte Benedetto made me wait a couple more weeks until the peanut plant foliage was started to yellow and die-off.

We got two nice-sized hand-fulls that are tied up and curing (aka drying) in my sunroom for a couple more weeks. Then I will roast them and we can try them to see what they taste like.

Elsewhere in the plot, we are still picking cut flowers (zinnia, celosia, cosmos, and gomphrena) and cherry tomatoes. It has been a fairly mild fall with no killing frosts/freezes -- yet. We also harvested spinach and lettuces. The radish seedlings are growing rapidly and the Pak Choi are as well.

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

2 comments:

  1. So is it time to roast these guys yet? It's my understanding that the shells are a safe cat toy as well. Might be a nice Halloween activity

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...