Friday, October 29, 2021

Fenton Friday: Winding Down

Basil forming seeds.

We have not had a frost or freeze yet, but the plants are getting tired and worn out in any case. We've had some heavy rains and the cold nights are not kind to the summer crops. So I plan to pull the tomatoes and peppers next week and plant the garlic, then put straw down to suppress weeds around them.

The cutting garden flowers will also need to be pulled. I hate to see them go. The marigolds in particular are filling out so well, but I know a frost will zap them soon. I need to collect seeds from some of the best performers for our annual Seed Exchanges and to plant next year.

Somewhere under all the celosia are the potatoes and I'm eager to find and dig them out soon too.

I also need to harvest the rest of the basil and other tender herbs. I should make a bunch of pesto and freeze it - we'll see what I have time to accomplish. 

The lettuce, spinach, radish, and bok choi are still growing well and will continue on well into winter - and maybe until next spring - with the help of a row cover and some surrounding mulch to insulate them.

The days are getting shorter and Daylight Saving Time will be next week -- when it will be dark out by 5pm! That makes the days feel even more rushed this time of year. However, the garden plot and rest of my home garden need to be "tucked in" for the cold months coming and I have many other tasks waiting for me.

BTW, my talk on "Getting Your Garden Ready for Winter" on Thurs 11/4* at 6:30pm still has some spots open. You can register at https://apm.activecommunities.com/montgomerycounty/activity_search/getting-your-garden-ready-for-winter/122666

*It will be recorded for pre-registered attendees to view later, if they cannot attend it live. 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...