Friday, July 09, 2021

Fenton Friday: Growth Spurts

This week at the community garden plot was another scorcher, then some rain yesterday. I was away at the beach for most of it, so it was fun to come back after several days to find many plants had doubled and tripled in size -- like the green bean seedlings pictured above.

Other plants putting on lots of growth this week include the cucumbers, zucchini, blackberries, and the 'Sungold' tomato. 

The cosmos, celosia. and zinnia seedlings are also taking off. No sign of the marigolds yet.

Some insects are chewing on the Swiss chard, cucumbers, potato plants, and others. I inspected a bit, but didn't find the culprit. I suspect flea beetles. I covered the chard, but the rest of the foliage plants will need to manager on their own.  

I pulled a carrot and a turnip to check on their development, but both rows of root vegetables are far too small to harvest at this point. 

What is growing in your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...