Friday, July 23, 2021

Fenton Friday: Cukes and Zukes

This week at the community garden plot the temperatures finally moderated, but still not a drop of rain! Once again, the promised storms went directly south and north of us. Nothing here. It is getting really desperate in my home garden and I am so grateful once again to have a plot near the cistern as hauling water to keep the plants alive is become a daily chore. 

Last week, I wrote about our first baby zucchini. I was able to harvest that a few days later and have a few more zukes quickly following. I hope we can keep up the pace for a bit -- at least enough to share with all 3 interns and then have enough extra to shred and freeze packages for winter baking.

The cucumbers, blackberries, and the 'Sungold' tomato are all setting fruit. As a matter of fact, the cucumbers seems to be set with all female flowers! I hope somebody has a vine nearby with male ones. The beans are sending out lots of flowers themselves, so am hoping they'll start producing purple pods soon too,

I was able to start cutting bouquets from the celosia and zinnia. The yarrow is done and needs to be cut back.

We are gleaning for a harvest share group this weekend, so I plan to cut a bunch of swiss chard for that.

What is growing in your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...