Friday, July 16, 2021

Fenton Friday: Baby Zucchini

This week at the community garden plot was another scorcher and the rains keep missing us - so I spend my time that I should be weeding instead on watering and triage.

The Morning Glory vines are trying to take over the whole plot as are the Mulberry tree seedlings that pop up everywhere and just will not die. No matter how many times I cut them back to the ground! And don't get me started on the Nutsedge, which is a true curse on many of the plots and common areas of our community garden.

The good news is the heat is continue to push growth spurts from the cucumbers, blackberries, and the 'Sungold' tomato. We even have a baby zucchini forming! Of course, in a few weeks, I may be lamenting the coming zucchini explosion, but for now I am thrilled to see this little cutie forming.

The marigolds are coming up and join the cosmos, celosia. and zinnia seedlings in putting on good growth. I hope to have some of each of these in flower to be able to enter them into the Montgomery County Fair next month.

What is growing in your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...