Friday, April 10, 2020

Fenton Friday: You Look Radishing!

The last few days have been incredibly windy (with 50mph gusts), so I haven't gotten by the plot much this past week. Today, I weeded a bit and saw some nice progress in the lettuce, spinach, beet, and pea seedlings. All are on track to harvest in a few weeks.

Can you believe it? The kale and spinach are actually bolting after one day this week got above 80 degrees! I cut off their flower stalks and tucked the plants as best I could back under their cover cloth as there is a freeze warning for tonight. Yes, that is a typical spring in the Mid-Atlantic -- seesawing from one temperature extreme to another.

The radishes are developing nicely and I pulled a few to eat with Easter brunch on Sunday.

I didn't get a chance to start any new seeds outside, but I hope this week to get over and clear out another weedy section of the plot and to start some cutting garden flower seeds.


'Snak Hero' Peas
'Early Scarlet Globe' Radish
Viroplay Spinach Seedlings
What are you planting this month in your edible garden? 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

2 comments:

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...