Friday, April 17, 2020

Fenton Friday: Freeze Scares

beet seedling - red

This past week has been really chilly. We had freeze warnings on two nights and I was worried about my Strawberries, which are already setting fruit, but they seem fine.

I harvested a handful of Asparagus, two bags of Kale, and several radishes.

Everything else is growing nicely. The edible Peas and Sweet Peas are taking off, so are the Beets, Carrots, Spinach, Lettuce, and 'Purple Moon' Kale seedlings.

It is interested to look at the small Beet seedlings and see the red and yellow (gold) veining developing.

The Garlic is getting crazy big. I am wondering if I should harvest them in May this year!


beet seedling - yellow
In the rest of the plot, I am slowly beating back the weeds and have started Nicotiana seedlings indoors that I hope to transplant out in a few weeks along with direct-sowing a bunch of other cutting-garden flowers like Zinnia, Cosmos, and Gomphrena.















What are you planting this month in your edible garden? 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.


lettuce seedlings
'Viroplay' Spinach seedlings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...