Friday, September 13, 2019

Fenton Friday: Cool-season Seeds

The new fall semester interns, Jessica and Taylor, planted two sets of seeds after I cleared out space for them in the plot. Jessica is growing two greens - 'Bloomsdale' Spinach and 'Nancy's Baby Leaf Blend' Kale. Taylor planted two kinds of carrots - 'Oxheart' and 'Purple Sun'.

It went from temps hovering around 100 for the past few days to an almost chilly high of 70 degrees today. Fall is coming.

Eagle-eyed readers will note that I skipped last Friday's Fenton blog post. I was in Salt Lake City at the annual GardenComm (formerly GWA) meeting with my fellow garden communicators. I got back a few days ago and am still feeling the effects of the altitude, time change, and long days of garden tours, talks, and networking events.

On the tours I attended, I did not see very many edible gardens, so I cannot do much comparison with our Mid-Atlantic climate to Utah in that aspect. I will say that a visit to the Pioneer Park farmers market near our hotel was a highlight for me and I sampled some very tasty cherries and peaches. The dry atmosphere there means that fruit growing is a lot easier (not as severe fungal diseases), but that also means they have to run drip irrigation to almost everything.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...