Friday, August 23, 2019

Fenton Friday: A Break in the Heat Wave


Today a cool breeze blew through and we finally broke our chain of 90+ days (and record summer heat) in Washington, DC. I don't want the summer to end, but today is a but of a relief.

This week at the community garden plot, we kept on picking tomatoes and beans - I am at that stage of giving away as much as I may eat. You know that point in that season where you are actually tired of fresh, juicy, off-the-vine fruit? Well, I'll be kicking myself this winter for not taking more advantage of them.

And speaking of tomatoes, I hope you will join us tomorrow (Saturday, 8/24) for our 12th annual Tomato Taste at the FreshFarm Market in downtown Silver Spring, MD. Here are all the details: https://washingtongardener.blogspot.com/2019/07/calling-all-tomato-heads.html. The farmers have already submitted set aside some great selections for us to try and I will have seeds, recipes, kid's activities, plus much more to share. It is always a fun time!

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...