Friday, October 12, 2018

Fenton Friday: A Sprinkling of Ground Cherries

This week, I found these Ground Cherries (Physalis spp.) from a couple plants that had reseeded in my garden plot and camouflaged themselves among the Marigolds. 

They are not the golden-yellow color that they should be for safe eating and turning sweet-tasting. I threw these few out to the squirrels and birds. I suspect they aborted early due to all the rains we've had. This is a plant that likes things a bit on the hot and dry side like its cousins the Tomatillo and Tomato. 

You can find out all about sourcing and growing Ground Cherries in our September 2014 back issue of Washington Gardener Magazine posted here.

Elsewhere in the plot, the Beets and Swiss Chard are doing okay. Basils are hanging in there and we harvest a few Cherry Tomatoes. Mostly though it is prime-time for the cut flowers with the Zinnias and Celosia putting on a pretty autumnal show of lipstick-pinks and complementary deep-reds for the last of my small sunflowers. 

What is growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...