Friday, October 26, 2018

Fenton Friday: Cistern Drained

We've had a few frost days this past week, but the Basil is holding on - though a bit damaged.

It was time to drain our cistern and hoses, so we filled up several jugs and buckets to hold water for cool-season watering. It was my first time in charge of this community garden chore. Frustratingly, the last few inches of water in the cistern are below the spigot line. I tried to lower in a bucket on a rope and a jug, but that I only got a few drops out. Anyone able to lend a giant sponge? I assume those last few inches always sit there at the very bottom and will do no harm when they freeze and thaw.

In the plot, the Swiss Chard (pictured) and Beets are doing fine. We cut back the Garlic Chive flowers to stop it from seeding everywhere. I pulled out some more of the summer annual flowers and will try to get to the rest next week to clear out a spot for some cover crops.

What is growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...