Friday, August 04, 2017

Fenton Friday: Currently Currant Tomatoes


These tiny 'Red Currant' Tomatoes are so sweet, prolific, and easy to grow. Why doesn't everyone have a pot or row of them?

They self-sow for me in the garden plot and have migrated to others gardens and to outside the main gate and compost pile as well. Free food for everyone!

Unlike the most fussy hybrids, I never fertilize or water them. They never have foliage issues and they only need beating back occasionally when they try to horn in on the other plants. I just found out from TotallyTomatoes.com that they are a "different plant species, Lycospericon pimpinfolium, than garden tomatoes." That explains a lot. They are native to South America and can cross with our tomatoes, but I have not found that to be an issue.

I pick them by the handful and snack on them as I weed. They are also great scattered on a salad or a pasta dish.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: 
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 6th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

3 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful tomato. It makes me really start my own little garden. I love DIY projects and this looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave. They are indeed easy and rewarding - as well as delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dave for the beautiful peace of words

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...