Friday, July 20, 2007

Hop Over to My Lily Pad

Here is an online link to this week's Top 5 Home & Garden Events listing on page 29 of today's print edition in the Washington Examiner. It was on page 24 of the 7/19/07 edition and my waterlily photo was also highlighted on the front page.

In case any of you missed the wonderful article on Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in this past Tuesday's Metro section of the Washington Post here is a link

The only thing I think I would add to it is that to get the full effect of these water plants you need to visit before the heat of the day - 10AM being ideal -- all the blooms close up in the blazing sun and you'd be disappointed to miss the show by arriving in the afternoon.

I'll be there in the vendor area tomorrow and am so excited that it will be in the 80s with a cool breeze! The last two years at the festival I was one big ball of sweat and went through several bottles of water in 3 hours. I don't think I've ever been that hot and exhausted.

BTW the Deanwood metro stop is just a couple blocks away and the day of the festival they put up helpful signage. Yes, it is Anacostia in SE DC, but no, it is not a problem to walk over there. People are fairly friendly and generally minding their own business.

Special Event: Kenilworth Gardens Annual Waterlily Festival

July 21, 10:00am-2:00pm

Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, corner of Anacostia Avenue and Douglas Street, SE, Washington, DC

Enjoy the gardens and sample Asian arts between garden workshops. View the entries of the Kenilworth's own photo contest. Kathy Jentz, editor of Washington Gardener Magazine, will have a table in the displays section. There will be ranger-led tours of the gardens and wetlands. The greenhouse will be open and there is a hands-on Lotus Craft Show.

Fee: $0/Free. Preregistration is not required.

For more information: visit the NPS web site or call 202.426.6905.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...