Friday, August 09, 2024

Fenton Friday: Trap Crop Killed

Broccoli as a trap crop.
Photo by Josh Panepento.

This week I pulled the plug on the Broccoli plants there acting as a trap crop at the back of the plot. We yanked them out after we harvested the nearby potato grow bag (watch the video of my potato harvest here) and I dumped the lovely post-potato soil back onto where the trap crop had been. Now to decide which cool-season crop to put in that spot.

If you are not familiar with trap crops, those are plants that you deliberately place in or near a garden in order to distract or redirect your pests. In this case, I wanted all the bugs that attack my other Brassica family plants. They definitely took a beating and served their purpose.

In other news, we are prepping our entries for the County Fair. I'm hoping to have enough Gherkins to put those in competition - you need 5 that are pretty identical. I think we can enter one of the peppers and one variety of tomatoes. We got the remnants of Tropical Storm Debby overnight here so things are a bit beaten up, but I'll go over in the morning to see what I can cobble together. Wish us luck!

What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...