Friday, May 03, 2024

Fenton Friday: Rainy Days

Our spring weather pattern seems to be soggy weekends and then hot and windy weekdays. I never complain about the rain though! As too much is SOOOO much better than too little! We had some summer-like temps and are due for some more next week.

How hot did it get? Well, our cilantro has officially bolted (set flower) and the baby Arugula is trying to do the same (see photo above). We snipped off those forming arugula flowers and it is in a very shaded spot, so I'm crossing my fingers that it will give us a little longer before it gets bitter and peppery tasting.

The Dahlias and Potatoes left in the ground last fall are emerging -- so are the Potatoes I planted in the grow bag a month or so ago.

The Salad Greens are ready for harvesting, but it is still a bit too early on the Radishes and the Carrots are still many weeks away. The Dill and Parsley are coming along nicely. The Peas seem to be a bit of a bust. The Broccoli looks ready to cut soon.

Meanwhile, the Thornless Blackberry is dripping with hundreds of green fruits forming on it. I need to get a cover cloth or some kind of bird protection over it all soon!

The Onions and Garlic are growing big. I'm keeping my eye on them for possible early harvesting.

I've officially let the Asparagus go for the season. I don't have many Strawberry plants this year, despite my bed re-do last year, I think I need to just start from scratch on that portion of the garden.

My plans are to sow the cutting garden seeds - Cosmos, Zinnias, etc. in the next couple of weeks and then plant my warm season veggies - Tomatoes, Peppers, Okra, Zucchini, etc. after that.

What are you growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 13th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...