Friday, June 02, 2023

Fenton Friday: Blackberry Ripening

We finally got some good rain over the Memorial Day weekend.

I picked some more ripe Strawberries and Pea pods this week. I also made a few salads with the Spinach, Arugula, and Lettuce.

The Garlic will likely need pulling soon as the tops are browning off.

I still have not put a cover cloth on the Potato plants (to keep out the Colorado Potato Beetle coming soon), but I'll try to attend to that this week!

The berries on the Blackberry plants are ripening and I snacked on a few as I weeded the plot a bit. I'll go over with a container tomorrow to see if I can gather enough to make Blackberry Crumble or another dessert for my birthday on Sunday.

The bolted Daikon Radish is forming nice "rat tail" seed pods. I sampled a few and they are quite tasty, so I need to get back over and harvest some more before they get too tough to eat.

The new interns started this week and next week we'll be planting Cosmos, Zinnias, Zucchini, and Peppers. Speaking of which, some of the pepper seedlings in the tray on my driveway got mowed down last night! I think it was the 'Cherry Pick' ones. I suspect the baby bunny that has been hanging around. Little jerk! Hopefully, the seedlings will recover, but at least we have a few other varieties we can plant if those don't bounce back.

How is your garden plot growing this week?
 
About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...