Friday, April 07, 2023

Fenton Friday: Things are Jumping

Daikon radish seedlings

We had some crazy weather this week. For two days in a row, we almost hit 90 degrees and in a few days we have an overnight freeze alert. We got a big thunderstorm last night and high winds earlier in the week. Thank goodness the hail passed us by at least!

The see-saw weather meant that the lettuce, arugula, carrots, and Daikon radishes are up. These will all need thinning this week or next. As most were from old seed packs and we sowed them very thickly.

A few pea seedlings have also finally made an appearance.

The Swiss chard seedlings planted in a container are still very small.


The garlic is getting fairly large for this point in the season.

Most surprising of all is that the thornless blackberry is already starting to flower.

We picked a few asparagus spears and the kale is starting to grow enough that it can be harvested soon as well.

No sign yet of the spinach seedlings or potato plants emerging, but those are both fairly recently planted so I'm not worried about those. 

One of the varieties of arugula that we planted and the 'Easter egg' radish are both no-shows so far and I think we may officially give up on them. I may plant something new in their spots soon.

What are you growing in your edible garden this season?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

2 comments:

  1. I would start the arugula in styrofoam egg cartons then transplant the plugs into the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pete, styrofoam is outlawed here in Montgomery County, MD, but I'm sure we could do similar in other containers.
      The one Arugula variety we started by direct-sowing is doing great, the other is from a very old pack, so I'm not surprised it is not germinating for us.

      Delete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...