Friday, April 14, 2023

Fenton Friday: Radish Thinnings

 
It was another crazy weather week with summertime-like temps and barely any rain, so the thornless blackberry bush is covered in big white blooms and the strawberries are also flowering prolifically. The kale and broccoli from last fall have both bolted and I yanked them out. I think at this rate the garlic will form scapes in the next week or two!

We had to hand-water the seedlings and carried that water over from the rain barrel at my house as the cistern at the community garden was not open yet for the season. 

We weeded a bit and thinned out the radishes, arugula, lettuce, and carrot seedlings. The spinach seedlings are now all up too.

The pea seedlings and the Swiss chard one are both still fairly small and don't need thinning. The potato plants have not emerged yet.


We picked a few more asparagus spears and cleaned/ate the thinnings mentioned above, except for the carrots as I read they are not good to eat them.

We created a short compost trench where I hope to plant tomatoes this summer or similar "heavy feeder" plants. We posted a TikTok video of that compost trench process. See: tiktok.com/t/ZTR3KtcNs/

What are you growing in your edible garden this season?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...