Friday, March 24, 2023

Fenton Friday: Veterans and Newbies Meet


This past weekend we had an all-gardener meeting to kick off the growing season at our community garden. Everyone introduced themselves and the riles of the garden were reviewed. I think for those outside the garden and the newbies, the rules seem lengthy and onerous -- in fact, they are there to head off potential problems like someone's giant trellis overshadowing a neighbor's plot or the cistern not getting refilled potentially leaving our poor seedlings parched on a hot, sunny day.

I shared some seeds leftover from our recent Seed Exchanges and enjoyed meeting the new gardeners and connecting names to some of the returning folks I hadn't met yet. I hop everyone has a beautiful and bountiful growing year!

In our plot, I harvested a handful of broccoli that I added to a pot of mac-and-cheese. It has been so rainy and windy and super-busy!) that I didn't get any additional seeds in the ground yet. My plan is for us to plant radish, lettuce, and seed potatoes this coming week.

Are you back in your edible garden yet? If so, what are you growing?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 12th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above (at the top, left on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...