Friday, August 12, 2022

Fenton Friday: Potato Harvest

This was my potato harvest from our plot today. Doesn't it look huge? Well, the tricky thing is the larger potatoes you see here are about the size of my thumb, and the smaller ones are hardly even bite-sized. Still, I plan to enter them in the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair tomorrow along with several other items we grew in our plot - tomatoes, peppers, zinnias, and garlic. I'm also thinking of maybe entering the carrots -- I have to check on how those are looking in my veggie crisper drawer before I decide.

There are a bunch of other things I'd like to enter, but the timing is just off. The Celosia flowers would have done well. Alas, they are pretty puny right now and will likely look great in 2-3 weeks. Then there are the blackberries. I have a few ripe now, but not the the whole pint required for entry. I wish I could enter some of the big beautiful berries that I froze in June! 

Timing is everything in the garden. Isn't that always the way though? 

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...