Friday, May 27, 2022

Fenton Friday: Peas Finally Flower

This week is a bit of a limbo time at the community garden plot as we transition from cool weather to warm weather crops, but the ground is so oversaturated from recent rains that I am holding off planting anything. There are areas of our garden that are a literal mud pit! Thank goodness for the woodchip paths around my plot that are keeping things fairly tidy.

I've been harvesting strawberries and weeding a tiny bit. I need to check if the scapes have formed on the garlic as they usually appear by now. The carrots seem to be increasing, but I will wait a few more weeks before pulling another one to check.

The big news is the flowers on the purple podded snap peas are finally blooming and that means peas aren't far behind!

Also, the thornless blackberry has really hit its stride. It is covered in green fruits and I suspect that as soon as it starts to ripen I'll need to move the netting off the strawberries over it.

I also found a few self-sown zinnia and celosia seedlings where I am prepping a bed for tomatoes. I'll transplant those to a better spot soon.

What are you growing and eating this week from your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 11th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...