Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Autumn Daffodils for Bloom Day

It is Garden Blogger's Bloom Day again! On the 15th of each month, we gardeners with blogs share a few bloom photos from our gardens.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic USA (USDA zone 7) on the DC-MD border, the past month has been generally hot, but we had some moderate days and a taste of fall, so the garden is starting to feel like it is rounding the corner soon from lush, jungle exuberance to shaggy autumn decline.

For this month's Bloom Day. I thought I'd share a picture of the Autumn Daffodils in my garden. It is also known as fall daffodil, winter daffodilor yellow autumn crocus. The Latin name is Sternbergia lutea. Despite the bright-yellow color, it really does look more like a tall crocus, than a daffodil to me.

I bought the bulbs at Green Spring Gardens Fall Plant Sale a few years ago from a woman who dug a bucket-full up from her farm. They were already sprouting and I don't recall many flowers that first year. When I read up on them, I saw they were used often in rock gardens and want perfect drainage, so I planted them in a location with great drainage next to my driveway and a hypertufa trough. Each year they multiply a little bit, in a few years I may be able to dig and transplant or share as few bulbs.

In the rest of the garden today, I have blooming: Gomphrena, Cosmos, Sunflowers, Goldenrod, Celosia, Tall Phlox, Japanese Anemone, Butterfly Bush, Tall Verbena, Petunias, Rose of Sharon, Butterfly Bush, Zinnias, Cosmos, Fuchsia, Bacopa, Impatiens, etc.

Be sure to follow @WDCgardener on Instagram for daily pics of what is blooming in the garden and area gardens that I visit.

So what is blooming today in YOUR garden?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, your daffodil clicks looks strait out of postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never before heard of Autumn Daffodils - interesting!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...