Friday, August 13, 2021

Fenton Friday: Carrots Assessed

I pulled the carrots today -- hoping to have 5 that were approximately the same size and shape as that is what is required to enter them into the Montgomery County Fair. No such luck. Though, they are still lovely in their own way and taste great!

For the fair entries, I collected 'Shishito' and sweet peppers, 'Sungold' tomatoes, Celosia and Zinnia flowers, Thai Basil and Garlic Chives for the herb category, along with flowers from my home garden. I'll post an update next week on any ribbons we might win.

This week has been one of near-record high heat and strong evening thunderstorms, so aside from picking beans, cucumbers, and zucchini as quickly and efficiently as possible, I have not spent much other time in the plot and the weeds are taking advantage of that. Next week the weather is predicted to be cooler and I hope to tackle the worst of the strangling weeds.

What is growing in your kitchen garden?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...