Friday, August 28, 2020

Fenton Friday: Plotting Patience


Every time I go out to the garden plot, I check on the progress of two much-anticipated harvests -- the edamame and the watermelon. Each crop has a narrow window of ripeness and I am semi-obsessed about missing that timing. I also am afraid of the critters gnawing on or some villain stealing the watermelons (which happened to me before), so my nervousness made me pick one melon a bit too early. When I cut it open, it was just starting to turn pink inside. I still ate it though. It was sweet -- just not as sweet as it should have been. So now I am forcing myself to wait on those other melons. Similarly, the edamame are the right length and seem close to ready, but when I feel the pods they are not quite plump enough and certainly nowhere near to "almost touching" phase that the seed pack advises. "Patience, grasshopper."

Meanwhile, the rest of the plot is booming. You'd think I'd be busy enough with the bountiful tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and okras that need daily picking! I also have delayed starting fall crops and really need to start clearing out space for cool-season greens. I hope to get some headway on that early next week after the Hurricane Laura remnants make their way through our region and will make it easier to pull weeds after we get some decent rains and cooler temps to work in.

What are you picking from your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...