Friday, May 24, 2019

Fenton Friday: Strawberry Season



The strawberry season has arrived. I have far fewer plants than in previous years, so my harvest is vastly smaller, but still those berries eaten right in the garden plot are a billion times more flavorful than any others I've had.

Also in the plot, the hardneck garlic has formed scapes and I am cutting them now to send energy to form a bigger bulb, rather than flowering and setting seed. I will share the scapes with others and use them in a green garlic pesto.

Elsewhere in the plot the peas and lettuce are still going. The summer-like weather has come in though, so I think this week or next will be the last of them.

Next week I am aiming to get all my summer edibles in - tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, okra, etc, It will be a busy week in the garden plot!

What is growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the FentonStreet Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...