Friday, November 09, 2018

Fenton Friday: Freeze Coming = Final Post of the Season

With a real freeze (not frost) predicted for this weekend, this will be my last Fenton Friday post of the growing season. At the point, there is not much left in the garden to do. I brought in some helpers from the Silver Spring Time Bank (pictured at left) last Sunday and we cleared out most of the plot. We then spread a thick layer of straw over everything.

What is left wintering over in the plot:

The Asparagus and Strawberry beds are mulched and dormant.

The Garlic shoots are already up. I was given more garlic varieties to trial this week and will get those in asap as well.

The Beets and Swiss Chard are looking good and we should be able to harvest them in a few weeks.

I also have two Thornless Blackberry bushes and a Blueberry bush still in pots, that I think I'd like to move to he plot as my home garden is too shady for them. We'll see if I get time to do that before the ground freezes.

What is growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...