Friday, August 07, 2015

Fenton Friday: Beans Late. But Better Than Never


This is a flower on a 'Blue Lake' pole (green) bean plant. You better take a good look at it as it will be a bean in a matter of hours. I never noticed the flower before, but it is actually pretty and a bit like a snapdragon.

The interns planted these beans at the back of my community garden plot on on June 24 and just six weeks later the plants are over our heads and producing dozens of flowers. I expect to be picking scads of beans this coming week. We timed them to produce before their summer internships ended and I think we will meet that goal.


A bonus of this late crop is that the county fair entry is next weekend and we might have enough good-looking beans to put in an entry for them. Not going to jinx things by saying too much more. I do not have many other things that I'm looking to enter at this point, maybe some of the cherry tomatoes and a variety of cut flowers. I can also see if my herbs will make a decent collection entry.


How is your garden growing this week? Anything you have your eye on for possible fair entry?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...