Tuesday, February 04, 2014

A More Beautiful Washington, DC? You Can Grow That!

Washington, DC, IS a beautiful city, but it is far from what it could be potentially. There are many missed opportunities for color and life.With just a few simple steps this city could be a gardener's paradise. I'd like to propose the following pledge for every citizen of the District and its surrounding suburbs. Please feel free to put any additions you have in the comments below.

1. This spring, I will plant at least one container of flowers on my front steps/ porch/deck/balcony and take care of it.

2. Every day I will pick up and dispose of properly at least one piece of trash.

3. I will respect and leave any streetbox and curbside plantings alone. Whether public or private, I will avoid stepping in, sitting on, or otherwise mutilating what other gardeners have tried to add to our shared environment.

4. I will pull weeds from between sidewalk cracks and other public spots when I notice them.

5. I will assist one neighbor, family member, or friend with planting and maintaining a garden this summer. I will pick someone who would have trouble doing this on their own such as a young child or a person with a mobility issue.

A More Beautiful Washington, DC? You Can Grow That!


Garden Bloggers You Can Grow That! Day was started by C. L. Fornari of Whole Life Gardening because she believes “Gardening is one of the most life-affirming things we can do.…We need to thoroughly saturate people with the belief that plants and gardening are worth doing because of the benefits gained.” Garden bloggers who agree post about something worth growing on the fourth day of every month. Read this month’s You Can Grow That! posts.

1 comment:

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...