Wednesday, October 08, 2008

ArborFest: Trees are the Answer!


This weekend I'm up in the northern tip of VA for the ArborFest 2008 at the Blandy Experimental Farm which is the State Arboretum of Virginia. I'm there for the ArborFest and Plant Sale. Go here to print out a coupon to attend the Arborfest for FREE.

If you are like me and have never ventured up to Blandy before, here are a few tidbits about it:

~ The Arboretum is home to the largest collection of boxwood cultivars in North America and more than half the world’s pine species. We also have an herb garden, perennial gardens, azalea garden, daylily garden and the woodland portion of the Virginia Native Plant Trail.

~ Blandy Experimental Farm is a research station for the University of Virginia Department of Environmental Science. The Arboretum is for public enjoyment and nature study, and also serves as a resource for the University.

~ The Tuleyries Mansion is the original estate of Graham Blandy, the New York stockbroker who left 700 acres of his 900-acre estate to UVA upon his death in 1926. The home and 200 acres remain private and are not open to the public.

And I'll be doing double-duty by collecting info on the garden for a future DayTrip story for the magazine. With a slogan like "Trees are the Answer," I'll be sure to ask lots of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...