Thursday, July 17, 2008

Kenilworth Waterlily Festival

Here is the online link to this week's The List: Top Gardening Events for the week ahead on page 30 of today's print edition in the Washington Examiner. You can find the Examiner in the many red street-boxes around town. I saved a screen capture of the listing as a JPG and posted it here at left -- you can click on it to read at 100%.

We'll have a table signing up new subscribers at this Saturday's Kenilworth Waterlily Festival. The last 2 years I've done it have been hot as Hades, but with a nice dash of DC humidity to make even my straight hair curl. For four hours I can handle it and actually enjoy the cleansing sauna effect. The fun part is watching the tourists and AC-dwellers rough it for their short time visiting out there. The sweating is worth it though to see those 1000s of waterlilies and lotuses in bloom. Nothing like it. I haven't meant anyone who visits and isn't instantly smitten. Best kept secret in the city -- and because it is a national park property, it is absolutely free to attend. Arrive early as the blooms close up in the heat of the afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. What's the walk like to Kenilworth Park from the Metro stop? I've got a friend who will be visiting DC and is looking for atypical tourist stuff to do.

    Thx,
    jb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done the walk back & forth these last few years - it is pretty easy. But as to the neighborhood, I would not do it at night or be advertising I'm a "tourist." It is a working class section of town - you cross over Kenilworth Ave on a pedestrian bridge then walk through single family houses and some low-rise apartments. Because I've always gone in the height of summer, most people are out at work or inside enjoying the AC -- a few kids are out playing. I have never felt nervous or in danger walking by day there.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...