Friday, November 05, 2021

Fenton Friday: Putting the Plot to Bed for the Season

Zinnia seedheads

Well, it happened - we got zapped by a frost this week - not everything looks dead or even badly knocked back, but it was in the 20s one night and so I think that makes it official that the season is coming to a close. It is time to apply the straw around the asparagus and strawberries as well as on any bare beds.

I put row cover fabric loosely over the lettuce, spinach, radish, and bok choi to insulate them. We continue to harvest from them in to the winter.

The garlic will go in this week. We got heavy rains on Monday, so I am waiting for the soil to dry out a bit before I do that.

I started collected the seeds from the Zinnias and other cutting garden flowers as I pull them out. 

The peanuts we harvested have cured and I will be roasting them next week to taste and sample them.

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house in zone 7 Mid-Atlantic MD/DC border. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 8th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...