Friday, April 26, 2019

Fenton Friday: Brassicas for Beginners


I'll be giving two Vegetable Gardening talks this weekend, see the talk details at: https://washingtongardener.blogspot.com/2019/04/where-to-find-washington-gardener-this.html.

I went to a local garden center and bought a couple six-packs of Brassicas (broccoli and cauliflower) to show at these talks. If they survive the show-and-tell excursions, I'll plant a few of these out in the plot.

The lettuces are going strong and we cut a few salads worth this week. The peas have not flowered yet, but the strawberries have. I also harvested a few more asparagus stalks.

I am also starting to get on top of the weeds and clean up the beds to get prepared for the summer crops that we'll soon be putting in.

What is growing in your edible garden this week?

About Fenton Friday: Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the FentonStreet Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 7th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) See past posts about our edible garden by putting "Fenton" into the Search box above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...