Friday, May 12, 2017

FENTON FRIDAY: Crimson Crunch Radishes

This was a very soggy week in the Fenton Comunity Garden. Between rains, I was able to weed half of the plot and spread compost and wood chips. It is looking neat and orderly -- as only a spring garden plot can. We'll see how long that lasts....

The Cilantro and Parsley are coming in very nicely. I pulled out the last of the old Kale and Cabbage plants to make way for new Lettuce seeds.

I am now debating how much room I want to give to a cutting garden flowers versus melons/pumpkins. Both groups of plants are space hogs and I am not sure how much plot real estate I will give over to either group yet.

I harvested a few of the 'Crimson Crunch' Radishes (pictured) and they are delicious. The seeds are from Renee's Garden.

By the way, I will be giving a talk on Sunday, May 14 at 11:00am the DC Green Festival on "Planting Your First Vegetable Garden." The talk is aimed at beginners, but I will sprinkle in some tips for seasoned gardeners as well. I hope you can attend.

If you need passes to the Green Festival, go to and use our special code: XDC172DDR.

Please stop by and see WASHINGTON GARDENER MAGAZINE in Booth #407 all weekend.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: 
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...