Friday, April 14, 2017

Fenton Friday: First of the Season


The first post of the season finds my plot once again run over by Henbit and Chickweed. Alas, no poultry in sight to take care of it. Weeding it all out has been slow this time due to having a broken toe. It is healing quickly, but not fast enough for me to be at top-speed in the garden yet.

Looking at what over-wintered for me. I lost all my Calendula. It had a good multi-year run, so I'm not too upset. Only a few Strawberry plants have returned, but the Asparagus and Garlic are doing very well. I also have one hardy rosemary that is fine. Cabbages and Kale also over-wintered though I think hey may be too tough and bitter for eating so I will use them instead as a garnish.

Newly added by seed in the last few weeks are rows of :Mustard Greens, Bloomsdale Spinach, Lettuce, Radish 'Crimson Crunch,' Carrots "Scarlet Nantes,' Cilantro, Arugula, and Parsley.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday: 
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)   

2 comments:

  1. Seems like you have planted a mini garden for yourself for getting fresh fruits and vegetables. Good idea. Love how people like you keep sharing seasonal blogs and keep updating all reader with new seasonal changes/trends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Best Essay -- I find keeping up with weekly veggie plot updates really helps planning the garden from year-to-year.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...