Friday, June 12, 2015

Fenton Friday: What Happened to Spring?

basil baby
The strawberries are still going strong this week at my community garden plot, though they are starting to taper off a bit and I fear they will be ending soon.

The salad greens are still hanging on too - thanks to a row-cover shading them from another too-early and brutal heat wave this week. I fear the heat has zapped all my peas, so those will be pulled out soon.

Additions this week include basil seedlings and two small tomatoes -- 'Tiny Tim' and 'Chocolate Sprinkles.' I also have mess of tomato seedlings coming up everywhere in the plot, where the orange cosmos has not re-seeded. I don't have the heart to pull it all just yet, as I'm hoping some of these are my old favorite and half-wild 'Red Currant.' It is hard to tell at this point. I may give them a couple more weeks to develop, then will have to pull all but a few selections and cross my fingers that I kept the right ones.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...