Friday, July 29, 2016

Fenton Friday: Struck Gold!

Sun Gold tomatoes
This week at my community garden plot we continued the longest and hottest heat wave of the summer --we ended it last night with torrential rains. Thank goodness! Hauling water to my plot and at my home garden in the 100+ degree heat was not doing the plants or myself any favors.

The heat did cause the beans and cucumbers to put on even more growth. We harvested 3 cucumbers this week and the beans should start really popping in the next couple of weeks.

The tomatoes are hitting their stride. Finally have a decent amount of 'Sun Gold' (pictured) to snack on.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

green beans climbing trellis


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:04 PM

    About 3/4 of the tomatoes on one of my 2 plants (2 different varieties) have blossom end rot. I thought this was from uneven watering? But here in Annapolis we've had very regular rain. Both the ripe tomatoes and the small ones just starting have the rot. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Anon -
    Likely the blossom end rot is from lack of calcium in your soil. You can add amendments, but likely a bit late in the season for the plants you have now. For next year, think about adding crushed up egg shells in the tomato planting holes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon, I put a small handful (about 2 tablespoons) of bone meal in the planting hole when I am planting my toms. Never have blossom end rot.

    I also put in a small handful of green sand (to sweeten their flavor), a small handful of blood meal, and about a tablespoon or organic, slow release fertilizer. I don't give my toms anything else for the rest of the growing season, food wise.

    You can see on my blog how awesome my toms turn out every year:

    http://www.justtherightsize.net/

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...